It’s that time of the year again, when the fronts of stores are packed with oversized bags of cheap candy, while in the back they’re sneaking in Christmas decorations. Yep, the season of the witch is upon us, and here’s the list of movies we’ll be discussing on our special, only at patreon.com/besottedgeek. List to be updated as we add more, so check back often!
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe
- As Above, So Below
- Mercy Black
- The Satanic Rites of Dracula
- Await Further Instructions
- The House That Dripped Blood
- Creepshow 2
- The Perfection
- The Open House
- Creep (2004)
- Creep (2014)
- Terror in the Wax Museum
- In the Tall Grass
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
- Trilogy of Terror
- Don’t Knock Twice
- The Conjuring
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Would You Rather
- Creep 2
- 1st Summoning
- Before I Wake
- Bone Tomahawk
- The Vault
- 6 Souls
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space
- The Babysitter
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Just a spur of the moment drink whipped up to go along with an All the Horror episode we did.
Cocktail: All the Horror– original, ain’t it?
3oz gin, 1.5oz blood orange juice, dash Peychaud’s bitters. Shake over ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Terrifying jack-o’-lantern not included.
Be sure to check out #AllTheHorror and follow @AllTheHorror18 on the twitter for 31 days of podcasting collaborations on all things spooky! Listen to our first of two hosted eps, here:
Good evening, blah!
Now that the obligatory Dracula impression is out of the way, let’s get to it. Here’s the list of
31 36 movies we’ll (hopefully) be seeing this October, in preparation for our 3rd Halloween Spooktacular! Watch along at home so you can play along at home when we tier all the movies… along at home. I’ll probably update this page with brief notes on the movies as we watch- just a spoiler warning. So, without further ado, here’s the list:
- Chernobyl Diaries
- Train to Busan
- The Boy
- Scream 4
- The Strangers
- American Poltergeist 2
- Event Horizon
- The Dark Half
- The Evil In Us
- The Fly
- House October Built 2
- Jacob’s Ladder
- The Haunting in Connecticut
- Pumkinhead 2
- Stir of Echoes
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose
- American Haunting
- The Prophecy 2
- Dracula 3: Legacy
- Children of the Corn 666
- Fangs of the Living Dead
- The Others
- The Ritual
- Last Shift
Be sure to look out for great horror podcasts all October by following and searching #AllTheHorror on Twitter!
Final Tiers of a Geek ranking:
Train to Busan
The Strangers / The Fly (’86)
Stir of Echoes / Hush / Jacob’s Ladder
Chernobyl Diaries / The Boy / The Others / Raw
Cube / The Exorcism of Emily Rose / Undead / Event Horizon / Veronica
Doom / Scream 4 / Pumpkinhead / Mother! / Dreamcatcher / The Tommyknockers
The Dark Half / The Houses October Built 2 / The Ritual / An American Haunting / Boogeyman / The Haunting in Connecticut / Last Shift
American Poltergeist 2 / Gremlin / The Evil In Us / Pumpkinhead II / Fangs of the Living Dead / Children of the Corn 666 / Dracula III: Legacy / The Prophecy II
In an effort to track which scary movies we will be watching this October and Tiering on our ‘Halloween Spooktacular’ episode at the end of the month, (and to get Peacock off my back about never using the website), I’ve decided to make a list here. I’ll give the title, how we viewed it (Netflix, purchase, theater, etc.) and maybe a few words about the plot or something ridiculous in the movie. So check back often, and try to keep up so you can play along at the end!
- Gerald’s Game (Netflix) – Maybe one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King book I’ve ever seen. Did I turn away at the climax- you bet your ass I did.
- Don’t Kill It (Netflix) – Starts out with some great kills by a demon possessing people, but gets bad fast, around the time star Dolph Lundgren is introduced, circa minute 10….
- Children of the Corn  (Netflix) – Sarah Connor & that guy from “Thirtysomething” against a killer cult of kiddie corn-eaters. Isaac freaks me the fuck out.
- Beyond the Gates  (Netflix) – Two estranged brothers play evil Clue to try to save their father’s soul. Brief good gore doesn’t make up for bad acting in this overall borefest.
- We Are Still Here  (Netflix) – Good scares and great makeup and effects highlight this unique haunted house movie about a grieving older couple who move into the wrong house (and town).
- Late Phases (Netflix) – Grumpy old man versus werewolves. Cool transformation, bad costumes.
- Honeymoon  (Netflix) – Newlyweds spend their honeymoon at an isolated cabin in the woods. What could possibly go wrong? This movie, for one.
- The House October Built  (Netflix) – A found footage film about documenting extreme “haunts” around the country that gets all too real for the filmmakers. Interesting concept but a lot of inane banter between the scares.
- Be Afraid (Netflix) – A doctor and his family move to a small town and are terrorized by bogeymen. Duller than it should have been.
- Backcountry (Netflix) – Two campers are threatened by a rude Irishman, Mother Nature, and a man-eating bear in this (loosely) based on true life story. Pretty gruesome as well as compelling.
- Cult of Chucky (Netflix) – Talking Tina knockoff Chucky comes back again (and again and again) to wreak mayhem. Fun sequel with plenty of regulars from the “Child’s Play” series.
- Demonic (Netflix) – Found footage, flashbacks, and jump scares- oh meh. Maria Bello is in it, in case you were wondering what she’s been up to.
- The Dead Room (Netflix) – A Kiwi haunted house story that relies on effects from 80 years ago through 90% of the film. The twist end can’t save it from the boredom of watching doors close and chandeliers shake for an hour.
- Housebound  (Netflix) – Nice mix of comedy and horror in this tale of a New Zealand reprobate under house arrest in her mother’s haunted house. Really enjoyable.
- 13 Demons (Netflix) – 3 D&D nerds are in for the game of their lives- AND deaths! I’m available to write copy Hollywood. PS, it stinks.
- The Hallow (Netflix) – Creepy yarn about an Irish family tormented by creatures in the woods surrounding their home. Nice effects.
- Dark Signal (Netflix) – English ghost story where the specter communicates via a talk radio show. Takes awhile to get going but pretty good once it does.
- The Devil’s Candy (Netflix) – A metalhead painter moves into a new house with his family, hears a demonic voice, and paints weird shit. The previous nut-job that lived there hears the voice and kills kids. When the two cross paths, wackiness ensues.
- Uncaged  (Netflix) – Zero likable characters highlight this shitty werewolf flick. Oh, and the wolf costume looks awful too.
- The Invitation  (Netflix) – Yuppie hipsters gather in a house in the Hollywood hills. The hosts have more in mind than a simple dinner party.
- American Poltergeist  (Netflix) – Film about students (and possibly a student film) moving into a haunted mansion. Probably the worst acting ensemble I’ve ever seen. Somehow the ghost of Lizzie Borden is involved.