It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Allegedly. Here’s the 12(?) movies we’ll be discussing for our Patreon Christmas Movie episode, plus one picked by the patrons, at https://www.patreon.com/besottedgeek.
- Let It Snow
- The Princess Switch
- The Knight Before Christmas
- Holiday Road Trip
- Holiday in the Wild
- Christmas Survival
- Santa Girl
- The Holiday Calendar
- Jingle All the Way
- Die Hard
- Holly Star
What better way to celebrate Leonardo DiCaprio’s birthday month than by seeing his very first film, “Critters 3”? Personally, I can think of several, but that’s not what our beloved patrons thought! Here’s the tie-in drinks that helped create a debacle of a podcast….
Shot: Critter Blood, after the green goo the goblins gush.
Squeeze the juice of a lime wedge (more or less) into a shot glass. Fill with melon liqueur.
Cocktail: LEO, the breakout star of the film. I guess. Look, he wasn’t anything special in it but became the biggest star by far.
3oz vodka; 1/2oz each limoncello and elderflower liqueur; dash orange bitters. Shake over ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
Happy birthday Leo! This kid is going places I tells ya. For our thoughts on the drinks, movie, and 2.5 hours of drunken ramblings, check out https://www.patreon.com/posts/movie-ep-3-3-31836345
JEFF LEMIRE – writer
ANDREA SORRENTINO – artist
DAVE STEWART – colors
STEVE WANDS – lettering & design
RAUL ALLEN – variant cover
Synopsis in a Sentence: The Bishop sends Fred and Angie on a mission from God while Norton/Danny and his father escape the hospital to go on a mission of their own.
The issue kicks off in the bloody hospital room with Clara questioning her dad about the dead guy he presumably killed. She gets called away to view some camera footage that shows the true culprit was a nurse. Meanwhile dad and Danny bond over the knowledge that the Smiling Man is real, and they’ve both seen him. While Clara goes to search for the nurse, these two sneak out to seek out the Ploughmen, a name we haven’t heard in quite awhile.
Meanwhile, the Bishop is giving Father Fred, Dr Xu, and the readers some much needed exposition about just what the hell is going on. Apparently the OG Norton Sinclair from 1900 built a machine in the black barn that not only caused a dimensional rift, creating multiple Gideon Falls (Falls’? Fallses? Whatever.) over different times, it also unleashed a hungering evil.
Nice job Norton.
This was another solid issue of a consistently great horror comic. Jeff Lemire knows when to throw the readers an informational bone, and Andrea Sorrentino’s moody art is as complimentary as ever. There are some gruesome horror moments to be had, but the full page spreads (4 in this issue), while cool, really eat up the page count. There’s a Wizard of Oz moment from the Bishop that made me roll my eyes, but overall I enjoyed Gideon Falls #18.
It’s our 4th annual Halloween Spooktacular, and this year we’re mainly covering 1981’s “The Evil Dead”! It’s one of our fave horror flicks to begin with, so you know we took special care when coming up with the tie-in drinks….
Shot: ‘Shot’gun Shell, the thing that turns a bludgeoning weapon into a boomstick.
1/2oz Galliano, 1/2oz Islay single malt scotch
Cocktail: Young F-ash-ioned, because his name is Ash, and he’s not old, and #BlamePeacock.
Muddle 1/4oz maple syrup and dash lemon bitters in an Old Fashioned glass. Fill with ice. Add 3oz Tennessee whiskey and stir. Garnish with lemon slice and maraschino cherry.
Another Halloween ep in the books. Check out our review of the movie, our thoughts on the drinks, and much more on the two-part special, here: https://www.patreon.com/besottedgeek
It’s that time of the year again, when the fronts of stores are packed with oversized bags of cheap candy, while in the back they’re sneaking in Christmas decorations. Yep, the season of the witch is upon us, and here’s the list of movies we’ll be discussing on our special, only at patreon.com/besottedgeek. List to be updated as we add more, so check back often!
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe
- As Above, So Below
- Mercy Black
- The Satanic Rites of Dracula
- Await Further Instructions
- The House That Dripped Blood
- Creepshow 2
- The Perfection
- The Open House
- Creep (2004)
- Creep (2014)
- Terror in the Wax Museum
- In the Tall Grass
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
- Trilogy of Terror
- Don’t Knock Twice
- The Conjuring
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Would You Rather
- Creep 2
- 1st Summoning
- Before I Wake
- Bone Tomahawk
- The Vault
- 6 Souls
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space
- The Babysitter
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
We’re back, baby! Better and boozier than ever! Allegedly.
Shot: Kree, the good guys in the movie. Wait, no, they’re the bad guys. Right? I’m so confused….
1/4oz Kirschwasser, 1/4oz light rum, 1/2oz elderflower liqueur
Cocktail: Marvel, or Mar-Vell. TomAYto, toMAHto.
Shake 1oz lime juice, 1oz blue curaçao, 2oz tequila, 1/4oz coconut cream over ice. Strain into an ice-filled, salt-rimmed glass.
You didn’t really expect us to return and not use blue curaçao, did you? Check out our thoughts on the drinks, movie and much more at patreon.com/besottedgeek.
Synopsis in a Sentence: Ricky Lawless gets restless and reckless.
- Just another stellar issue from Brubaker and Phillips
- My one complaint- wish there was a character and/or recap page like in The Fade Out
- I love these flawed characters and their interactions with one another
- If you want to get into comics but aren’t a fan of superheroes, pick up anything this team is doing at the time and you won’t be disappointed
Synopsis in a Sentence: “Daredevil” saves North from being murdered by his fellow officers.
- Vast improvement on the art from the last few issues
- The onemonepnoeia lettering wasn’t great. Yeah, I’m bitching about lettering.
- Matt’s guilt over sleeping with a married woman may be moot, as it looks like Mindy may go back to her husband. Which is probably a good thing since Elektra shows up at the end.
- Will North get off Daredevil’s ass now that Matt saved him and is going to take the heat from the failed murder attempt on him?
- Matt’s client knows he’s Daredevil now. Who killed his brother. Methinks it could be an issue.
- Will Spider-man show up for a brawl with DD like next month’s cover art suggests?
POWERS OF X #3
Synopsis in a Sentence: The Year 100 X-Men battle Nimrod to smuggle info to the past to prevent this timeline.
- This is my favorite Powers issue, I think mostly because it focused on one timeline instead of jumping between four
- Hickman found a way to do time travel (which I love anyway) without doing time travel- suck it haters!
- The end was tragic but also such a cool moment. It made me rethink Wolverine and how hard being the best there is at what he does must be for him sometimes.
- I’m really glad Marvel is putting this series out every week, and I’ll be sad to see it end