GIDEON FALLS #16
Synopsis in a Sentence: Norton/Danny meets his maybe sister Clara in the more rural version of Gideon Falls, and both visit their father in the hospital who becomes a secret host of the Smiling Man. Bonkers.
- Nice glimpse into the past showing Clara and Danny as kids, and use of a childhood injury tying to a scar on Norton, so maybe he really is Danny?
- If you’re not reading this, you have no idea what I’m talking about at all. But you should be reading it because it’s a great horror comic.
- Great imagery throughout, per usual
- I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but these issues always feel short. Maybe I just read it faster because I want to know what happens next.
BLACK HAMMER/JUSTICE LEAGUE: HAMMER OF JUSTICE! #2
Synopsis in a Sentence: The Justice League mope around Black Hammer farm, the Black Hammer team deal with a Starro invasion in Metropolis, and John Stewart and Colonel Weird look for a way to put the teams back where they belong.
- Not a fan of the art, especially the Black Hammer sheriff
- I like that Bruce still goes on nightly patrols in the quiet town
- I also like how Gail can’t really swear in the DC Universe
- The stuff with John and Weird was terrific- the best parts of the two issues so far
- Nice little cliffhanger that correlates with a major part of the original Black Hammer series
POWERS OF X #2
Synopsis in a Sentence: The beginning of the Xavier/Magneto alliance still leads to the destruction of the world via a galaxy consuming intelligence. Or something.
- There was A LOT to take in in this issue
- I may be a big dummy
- This was a let down after House of X #2
- Is Hickman a genius or a madman?
- I do enjoy the concept of the time jumps, but it’s difficult to see how they are affecting one another at this stage
- The art in both series has been top-notch
Synopsis in a Sentence: Jack gets in bar fight in Miami while on a job; Sam and Oona blackmail some guy; I lose patience with this book.
- I don’t know what this story is
- Is there a story?
- This was a Peacock pick, so why am I reading it?
- It’s actually one of the better issues, but I don’t care about any of it
- My score is going to seem ridiculously high, but like I said above, it’s not bad. I’m just not invested.
- Either Sam is a little person, or Oona is a giant, or the art is just off.